Progress reports and fun photos.

Settling on a control system based on Arduino (of course) and the CC3000 wireless shield. For now, I am just going to use a DHT22 Temperature and humidity sensor I got from Adafruit.

I am also experimenting with a Weather Shield by Sparkfun too.

weathershieldSo in my layout, I have these components:


On a workshop desk that looks like this:


I started by just getting the CC3000 wireless shield up and running. I knew if I could just get the Arduino online I could start building the sensors and controllers knowing the basic platform would be robust enough to live out in the green house 24-7. Humidity can get pretty high in there so I will eventually house the components in weatherproof boxes. Only the sensors need to be exposed.

I used the DHT22 sensor in place of the Weather Shield for now. I still want to figure out how to best use the Weather Shield since it is set up to also track wind speed and rainfall totals. (which, for a greenhouse, you don’t really care about). We’ll see. I’ll definitely use it somehow.

I hung the whole breadboard off of the existing sensor so I could compare the readings and see if both were tracking each other closely enough to verify the correct data.


After an afternoon of hacking up a test, I had a basic temperature and humidity sensor outside in the greenhouse, wirelessly connecting to my network router and then to a xively server and displaying the sensor readings here:

xivelystatsI will add data logging to the system so that if the wireless connection goes down, there will be a backup data file to reference and download.